Jose Mourinho Has Helped African Players win trophies more than any other Manager
African players who have plied their trade in Europe met several European managers who must have guided them to accomplish the aim of their career, but Research shows that Jose Mourinho has helped African players’ win domestic leagues and European championships more than any other football manager in Europe. Sport Intelligence (www.sportintelligencemag.com) looks at African players who benefited from the Portuguese .
Didier Drogba: The Ivorian is the African player that made the highest number of appearances under Jose Mourinho during his hey days in Chelsea, he scored a total of 73 goals and won 8 trophies under the Portuguese manager which consist of 3 Premier league, 1 FA Cup 3 Football Cup and 1 Community shield.
Michael Essien: The former Ghanaian international made a total of 147 appearances while the Portuguese manager was in charge of two different clubs in England and Spain (Chelsea and Real Madrid respectively), scoring a total of 11 goals and winning 3 trophies under the Portuguese manager.
John Mikel Obi: The Super Eagles captain made a total of 119 appearances under the Portuguese manager in Chelsea, though critics believe Mourinho gave him lesser play time. He scored 5 goals and won 4 trophies( 1 premier league, 1 FA Cup, and 2 Carlings Cup.
4. Samuel Eto’o: The former Cameroon captain played under Mourinho in two different clubs (Inter and Chelsea). He made a total of 83 appearances under the Portuguese manager where he scored 23 goals and won a total of 3 trophies which consist of 1 Serie A, 1 Copa Italia and 1 UEFA Champions League.
5. Sulley Muntari: The former Ghanaian international made a total of 80 appearances under Jose Mourinho while in Inter he scored 6 goals in all and won a total of 9 trophies.
6. Geremi Njitab: The Cameroon international made 69 appearances under Jose Mourinho while in Chelsea where he scored 3 goals and won 6 trophies.
7. Salomon Kaluo: The former Ivorian forward made 64 appearances under Mourinho while at Chelsea, where he scored 9 goals and won 2 trophies.
8. Benni McCarthy: Is the only South African player to win the UEFA Champions league and he owe lots of thanks to Jose Mourinho when he won the title while the Portuguese manager was in charge of Porto in 2003/2004. He made a total of 20 appearances under Mourinho scoring 11 goals and also won the primeira liga.
9. Emmanuel Adebayor: The Togolese international played a total of 22 games under Mourinho in Real Madrid where he scored 2 goals and won 2 trophies.
10. Mohammed Salah: The current African footballer of the year made 19 appearances under Jose Mourinho, scoring 2 goals and winning two trophies with the Portuguese manager.
11. Mcdonald Mariga: The former Kenyan international made 13 appearances under Jose Mourinho at Inter where he scored 1 goal and won 1 trophy.
12. Mahamadou Diarra: The Malian played under Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid, he made 9 appearances and won 1 trophy.
13. Victor Moses: The Nigerian forward made the least appearance under the Portuguese manager, he played 1 game and won 1 trophy in Chelsea with Mourinho.
The 24-year-old Ivorian defender is the most recent beneficiary of the Portuguese. He has made a total of 35 appearances under the Mourinho winning a total of three trophies (Europa League, Carling Cup, Community Shield) in his first season at Manchester United. Bailli still has prospects to win more.