As both teams are set to clash in the first-leg of the semifinal match, Sports Intelligence looks at the two teams, bringing out their strength and weaknesses and the possibility of their progressing to the next round.
- Atlético Madrid and Bayern Munich have met only twice, in the 1974 European Cup final. The Spanish side were a few seconds away from taking the trophy before George Schwarzenbeck’s 120th-minute equaliser gave Bayern a 1-1 draw. Two days later, the German club won the replay 4-0 to take the trophy for the first time in history.
- Atlético are unbeaten in their last five home matches against any German club (W4 D1) going back to a 1-0 defeat by Borussia Dortmund in the 1996/97 group stage.
- Atlético have lost just one of their last seven games against German clubs.
- Bayern have the first lost in Spain in the semi-finals in each of the last two seasons, going down 1-0 at Real Madrid in 2013/14 (0-5 aggregate) and 3-0 at Barcelona last year (3-5 aggregate).
- The German club have won only two of their last 12 trips to Spain, losing eight and drawing 2.
- Atlético’s European Cup semi-final record is W2 L2, while Bayern is W10 L7.