Watermelon, native to South Africa has traveled to the world owning to its beautifully dense globe of health. Watermelon decreases the risk of obesity and overall mortality, diabetes, heart disease and promotes a healthy complexion and hair, increased energy, overall lower weight. Watermelons are a member of the botanical family Cucurbitaceae.
One cup of watermelon will provide 17% of vitamin A, 21% of vitamin C, 2% of iron and 1% of calcium needs for the day.
Watermelon also contains thiamin,citrulline, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, magnessium, phosphorus, pottasium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, choline, lycopene and betaine. According to the National Melon Promotion Board, watermelon contains more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable.
Some Amazing Benefits
- Reduction of Muscle Soreness: L-citrulline an amino acid contained in water melon is needed to increase Nitric oxide level in the blood, promote positive effects of muscle growth, energy, stamina and strength for athletes.
- Natural Diuretic: made up of 92% of water and full of important electrolytes, offers the body abundant hydration, preventing the retention of fluid.
- Natural Aphrodisiac: When citrulline is digested, it converts to a substance known as L-arginine, which relaxes blood vessels- everywhere. This not only boosts libido, but also prevents and improves erectile dysfunction.
- Powerful Antioxidant: Lycopene serves as a powerful anti-oxidant, which not only makes you look younger, but also protects you from developing degenerative diseases such as cancer, diabetes and stroke.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Watermelon flesh and rind contain a substance known as citrulline. This extract supplementation reduces ankle blood pressure, brachial blood pressure and improves arterial function.
- Weight Loss: Dense in water and rich in nutrients, water melon contains dietary fibers which offer feeling of total satisfaction with few calories.
- Skin And Hair: Vitamin A richly contained in watermelon is necessary for the growth of all bodily tissues including skin and hair
- Asthma and Cancer: The high level of vitamin C can help combat formation of free radicals known to cause cancer. Lycopene has been linked with decreased risk of prostate cancer.
- Mood Elevator: The bright color , fragrance and vitamin B release “happy signals” in the brain
- Healthy Kidney: Being a natural diuretic, it promotes the flow of urine, helps rid kidney of toxins, keeping them healthy and hydrated.
- Inflammation: Choline contained in watermelon helps to maintain the structure of cellular membranes, aids in the transmission of nerve impulses, and assists in absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation.